Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Glass to Glass adhesive that will withstand 90*C and oil submersion

Status
Not open for further replies.

cavitate

Civil/Environmental
Aug 12, 2008
US
Subject line about covers it, oil type will vary, so I can't be specific.
I'm leaning towards a Urethane windshield adhesive, but as of yet found no info about how oil exposure effects it.
Thanks, Mikek

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check with Masterbond... they have adhesives for numerous applications.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I'm on their eMail list, and they send me info on their epoxies all the time. They have an incredible number of different types.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

A urethane or silicone maybe better for my purpose. I'm building a 2" x 2-1/2" x 34" tall vessel with 0.225" glass.
I'm thinking I may want it to have a little forgiveness. I'm looking at automotive windshield adhesive. Very strong, yet has some
rubberyness (?) to it. It also stands up under the summer suns heat.
My latest concern is differential heating of the glass at start up. I have some water on the stove getting ready to boil, I'll dip one end and see if it cracks. There is a work around if it seems it is a problem.
Initial dip at 90*C didn't crack, however I have brought glass into the air conditioning and will get to down 74*C and then dip one side into 100*C water. Don't know anything about the glass I have just something that was laying around the shop for too many years.
Thanks for your input, Mikek

P.S. I dipped a piece into boiling water, nothing happened, then I poured boiling water on one side of another piece and still nothing.
This has lessened my concern, but still need a catch basin just in case it cracks with 2-1/2 liters of hot oil.

This is representative of the range of adhesives, they send me information about. I'm not in any way affiliated with them.

Clipboard01_kxuqtg.jpg
Clipboard01_kxuqtg.jpg

-----*****-----

-Dik

3M makes literally tons of double sided tape, and at least some are high temp resistant, and some of those are specifically intended for automotive applications, so presumably oil resistant as well.

Some random hits
Note that VHB isn't even a single tape, but a family

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

OP here, I'm leaning strongly towards Permatex ultimate Grey.

" it is oil resistant and can withstand coolant and steering fluid. It features a higher density, allowing it to handle the vibrations and high tensile strength to bond between tighter tolerances.
Applications listed from Permatex include valve covers, oil pans, automatic transmission pans, intake manifold end seals, timing covers, water pumps, thermostat housings.
Temperature range -65ºF to 500ºF (-54°C to 260°C) intermittent; resists auto and shop fluids and vibration."

But, waiting for info from Permatex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back