Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global blowdown model (finite elements)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SILVERSTONE

Petroleum
Sep 29, 2005
FR
Dear sirs,

I'm trying to establish a model computing temperature profiles (as function of distance and time)reached by materials during a blowdown.
Is there some previous references and/or web-links which could help me in this task ?

Best regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your short post seems unclear. I think you might get some responses if you include an example and the results desired.

best wishes, sshep

You could use standard software if this has your interests?

Aside from this. Try to take a look at this article: "Material selection for low-temperature applications" by S. Kumar printed in Hydrocarbon Processing, july 2004 that give a methode for calculating lowest temperature of pipewall and a guide for selecting materials.

Best regards

Morten

First, I want to thank you sincerely for your answers.

Morten : I've tried to find on the web your referenced article but without results. Could it be possible for you to send me it ?

Sshep : You're right my description is too brief. So, my problem is this following one :
I try to develop a fortran program which could simulate an emergency depressurization of natural gas installations. My system can be described as :
capacity + restriction orifice + pipe leading to cold vent (some parts being underground and some being above ground level)
The results of this program run would have to include : time evolution of the capacity pressure and temperature, time evolution of the depressurization pipe material.

At this moment my strategy is :
for a discrete time evolution, compute the mass rate by : rate through orifice = rate through pipe which gives the good pressure drop in order to obtain a pressure of 1 atm at the outlet.
The problem is that temperature (and thus heat transfer through pipe wall) acts on the gas density (thus on the gas velocity and thus on the pressure drop).

I think it can be solved be finite elements. I wonder if this problem was solved before and if it can be possible to find the good solving strategy in a previous work ?

Best regards,

Silverstone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back