Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Global Parametars SW 2005

Status
Not open for further replies.

srki

Computer
Aug 9, 2004
ZA
Hi all,

please can anibody help me,

Whenever I choose option All Configurations wheder it is for materials or Lighting, it does not implement changes in all configurations, also in Scene setup, when I Configure scene and choose Set as default it doesn't.

Also as I work in SW 2005, somehow RAM looks as is building up, and my computer is running slower and slower. I got 2Gb of RAM (DDR 400Mhz), 3GHz Intel Processor. Is there some RAM "leak" in the software?

Regards
Srdjan

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There does seem to be a problem using Specify configuratiosn. I am awaiting SW response to this. As for All Configs not working with Photoworks. I'm not aware of this. You should turn this into your VAR and have them turn it into SW if it's repeatable.

As for your RAM - I'm sure SW05 is more demanding then your SW04 so it's going to use more then SW04 ever did. THis is natural with every version of SW. Your computer will run slower if your using more RAM, but you need to check and make sure you have the neccessary options set.

- this is for SW04 but a lot of the options are still good with SW05.

As far as a leak is concerned There isn't one that I'm aware of. I have less RAM then you and a smaller CPU and I have not noticed anything to run any slower then I would expect it too.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

Thanx SBaugh,

Please can you tell me what is VAR ?

As I am new to SW, I don't know what to expect from the speed side of it. I was working in some big configurations and assemblies, so I had some frustrating time. waiting up to 15 min for changes in material properties and , than SW crashed often, to add cherry on top of my frustration ;(

And how do I know about RAM; while I was waiting, for material properties to "accept" new values, I was checking what is happening with RAM, and it was climing up to 1.5Gb and suprisingly staid there, though I exited that file, and started fresh new one. Even after I closed SW RAM was still there, I mean usage of RAM. That lead me to thoughts that it is my PC doing something wrong, but, that is only happening with SW. Looks like, that software is not "cleaning" usage of the RAM effitiently. I might be wrong, but this is my feeling.

Regards

VAR - Value Added Reseller - These are the people you should have bought SW through.

If you are using Materials for all your parts then you should expect wait times. Try removing extra added stuff like that. If your assembly is complex (Helixes (such as springs) or multiple patterns, or component patterns, etc...) try removing or suppressing those to help with load times. Try loading your assembly lightweight (See help of this).

When you closed SW did you check your processes to make sure it was closed? If you had crashed prior to shutting it down then you might have had a seat running in the backgroud you were not aware of. Double check that next time. Sometimes you have to give SW a few seconds (10-30) to fully shut SW down. Tab back and forth between Performance & Processes and when waiting. To confirm SW Shut-down.

Check your Virtual Memory setting. Check your Video Card and it's drivers. if your not using a prefered card and driver this too can slow you down.

If you have 2 Gig's of RAM and you were using 1.5 Gig's then you have some very large files your working with and using materials are going to be a killer on processor and RAM. Try not using those, that should help.

Many other things come to mind but try those things first and see how it does.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]

If you are in the SW Forum Check out the FAQ section

To make the Best of Eng-Tips Forums FAQ731-376

srki
Assuming you have been working with SW2004, are you now working with converted & saved SW files? Or was this file, & all associated files, created using SW2005

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[bugeyed] I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose [shocked]

Thanx guys for nice responses!
I contacted guys, I got my 2005 trough, but they are confused as me, most they could do is to send email to SW, to ask them...
I created all components in SW 2005. And I did check, SW was off in Processes, and still using RAM, my assembly had abot 1200-1500 components per configuration, and all not needed components were hidden in particular configuration. I also find out because, I'm still learning, if I try some "impossible" operations in SW, it gets confused, thinks bit longer, and crashes....

Try running the Assembly Statistics (under the Tools menu)& post the results here. With the numbeer of parts in your assembly, I am guessing you have way too many top level mates ... 300 is the max recommended.

[cheers] from (the City of) Barrie, Ontario.

[bugeyed] I tried sniffing Coke once, but the ice cubes got stuck in my nose [shocked]

I think that there is a RAM leak with SW2005. The issue may be coming from when you load up your drawings from what I saw on the SW web-site today.

Have a peek at the SPR section on as I believe this issue is being tracked as a performance problem.

wtait

Hi guys, thanx for the replys. There are my statistics:

Total number of components: 1311
Parts: 1303
Unique parts:9
Unique parts documents: 9
Sub-assemblies:8
Unique sub-assembly documents:8
Resolved components: 1299
supressed components: 6
lightweight components: 6
Number of top level mates: 25
number of top level components: 10
number of bodies: 1303
maximum depth: 2

About that RAM leak, will that be solved with SP1?

That problem with not accepting changes in properties as I choose button to set as default, and apply to all configurations, still bugs me, I suppose that is supposed to change for all configurations, or I am mistaken?

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back