Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Gluing rubber to painted steel - Product?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Conundrum

Mechanical
Sep 9, 2003
Hi

Has anyone have experience with gluing an EPDM rubber to a steel surface painted with an epoxy? I know that Rema Tiptop SC2000 could be used for bonding rubber to steel. I am not to sure what, if any, effect the epoxy paint would have.

Any suggestions would be appreciated before I do test?

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about an epoxy adhesive? That should work well. Loctite and 3M have good ones, and their Internet sites have good technical information.

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

If you are gluing to epoxy-painted steel then you are gluing to epoxy, not to steel.

What are the conditions? What are the loads? What strength do you need?

What is the bond strength between the steel and the paint? No point in using a super-strong glue if the weak link is going to be elsewhere.

Its only my opinion, but it will be hard to do better than a solvent type contact cement, if you can use that type of thing in your process.

Regards,

Mike

There is a saying in the petroleum industry, particularly with the design and development of downhole packers. One particular type, the inflatable liner, as a Junior I got advice like this: "S### don't stick to steel".

I think you're asking for the impossible. But if you do manage to hit on it, give Halliburton, Schlumberger or Baker Oil Tool a call. You'll be extremely wealthy overnight!

On the flip side, never say never. Good luck with it!

Kenneth J Hueston, PEng
Principal
Sturni-Hueston Engineering Inc
Edmonton, Alberta Canada

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back