Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glulam wood beam to steel HSS column connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

denguy

Structural
Jun 21, 2019
US
Hello, I need some guidance on what connectors/bolts/weld to use to connect a 6-3/4"x34-1/2" glulam beam on top to a HSS 7"x3"x3/8" column as support. I usually use a Simpson PCZ Post Cap when it's a wood beam on top of a wood post but I'm not sure if the same connectors can be used for wood beam to steel column connection. Attached is an image I found online that is similar to what I'm looking for but I'm not very familiar with how it was constructed or what connectors were used.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=5abd4e1d-a925-427a-8849-0bc1468596d1&file=steel_post_to_wood_beam_connection.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The image looks like they actually recessed the horizontal steel plates into the bottom of the GLBs, then used a concealed vertical knife plate slotted into the GLBs for the connection.

I probably wouldn't weld a PCZ onto a steel post. Simpson has weldable caps identified in their catalogs (e.g. CCOQ/ECCOQ and CCO/ECCO).

I use a typical cap plate (same as a base plate) at the top of the HSS welded all around, and screw it into the glulam. Like almost exactly a steel beam sitting on an HSS but with wood instead.

Doesn't look good though, because the screws are visible from below. That might be why they're using a knife plate. The knife plate and recessed cap plate are more expensive.

Also, this is kind of a non-answer, but I'd ask Woodworks directly. Free advice.

Enerderek:
What an abortion that detail is, and you found it and use it, as an example for structural design which you apparently do not know how to design yourself. I’ll bet even the original arch. can’t explain the intent and load path for that mess. Why three odd shaped HSS columns, all with different cantilever lengths, but quite close together, when one column might have done the trick; and then, the columns are off center w.r.t. the beams which they support? I suspect the cap pls. on the columns are actually a bent pl. with the horiz. leg which you can see in the photo, dapped into the bottom of the beams, and a vert. leg which goes up the far side of the beams (which you can’t see), and then is bolted through the beams, 4 bolts ea. col. We aren’t selling free structural engineering here on E-Tips, so you might just use what you found on the internet, or find a local engineer to assist you, who can see the conditions, loads, plans and details, etc. which you are looking at.

@dhengr: Your outrage is a bit misguided. OP doesn't know the answer to the question, which is why he/she is asking it. It's far better to ask for advice than to do things wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back