Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Glycol/water refrigerant properties

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFuller

Chemical
Jul 7, 2003
US
I am looking at modifying a heating cooling loop on an old section of process plant. The plant uses a 50:50 by weight mix of ethylene glycol and water as a heat transfer fluid. We dont have any data on the transport or thermodynamic properies of this mix as most our new units are running on syltherm. Does anyone know a web site where I could get properties like the density and viscosity of this mixture for the temperature range -20C to +95C?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SFuller:

I did this search some months back in Google and came up with what seemed an endless litany of information. I concentrated on Propylene Glycol, my favorite because of the FDA approval, instead of Ethylene Glycol but the latter is also included in the information found in the following:

This should save you about an hour in finding the useful sources. I hope it helps you out.

Art Montemayor
Spring, TX

You can visit DOW's site and ask them to send you their glycol property package. It will give you the properties you are looking for and ethylene glycol is one of the choices. I'm not sure if it generates thermal conductivity which is the other property you'll need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back