Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gmaw-Machine Qualifies for FCAW-Machine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZHA

Materials
Aug 10, 2017
US
Hello All,

Per QW-361.2 (a) of ASME Sec IX, a change in the welding process is an essential variable. Is my interpretation correct that if a welder is qualified on GMAW-Machine, he is NOT qualified for FCAW-Machine process. He needs to weld a separate coupon for getting qualified in FCAW-Machine.

Does anyone have an interpretation from ASME confirming the above thing?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
HMN

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IX-78-16
Subject: Section IX, QW-255, Flux Cored Arc Welding
Date Issued: February 27, 1978
File: BC77-502

Question: Does gas metal-arc welding (GMAW) in the procedure qualification and performance qualification refer also to flux cored arc welding (FCAW)? If so, should welders be qualified separately under both processes?

Reply: Flux cored arc welding (FCAW) is permissible under the Code and is considered to come under the more general method of welding known as gas metal-arc welding (GMAW). Welders do not have to be qualified separately unless there is a change in any of the Essential Variables. However, there is an Essential Variable for procedure qualification, QW-404.23, that requires separate qualification for solid wire and for flux cored wire for the GMAW process.

As far as I can tell there isn't one....but what is telling you they are different processes? It is clear for semi-automatic that they are the same process. Why would machine be any different? QW-251.1 states "Types of Variables for Welding Procedure Specifications. These variables listed for each welding process in Tables QW-252 through QW-267". Table QW-255 lists a change from manual/semi-automatic to automatic/machine or vise versa as a non-essential variable for GMAW/FCAW (QW-410.25). So they are the same process.

Of course filler metal product form is an essential variable meaning a new WPS for FCAW, but still listed under the same process.
QW-361.2 only states a change in welding process is essential. There is no mention of filler metal product form.

Metengr - I reckon the interpretation answers my question but the word 'Welding Operator' is missing in that interpretation? Lol

David339933 - I know it's the same when it comes to GMAW(Pulse, Spray and Globular) and FCAW for Performance qualification of welders. I just wanted to see where is it clearly mentioned for the Welding Operators.

I talked to one of the guys I know. He was of the same opinion as you guys that GMAW-Machine qualifies you to FCAW-Machine also. I reckon I l go with you guys.
Thanks to both of you. Both of you guys have been very helpful everytime I have a query.

Regards,
HMN

Definitions, definitions. GMAW-machine: what does that mean? Is the person asking about the welding machine, i.e., the welding power source or is he asking about a process that is mechanized or automatic?

If the welding operation is mechanized or if it is automatic, the person operating it is a welding operator, not a welder.

If the discussion is limited to ASME and whether GMAW and FCAW is the same process or not, the answer is no. An essential variable for procedure qualification is the form of the electrode, i.e., solid or core electrode versus tubular electrode. The GMAW process can use either solid bare electrode or cored electrode. However, FCAW uses a tubular electrode. In the case of qualifying the welding procedure specification; GMAW and FCAW are considered two different processes.

In the case of qualifying the welder, there is no distinction between the electrode form. The welder, operating a semi-automatic process, can weld with either solid bare electrode, cored electrode, or tubular electrode once qualified for one of the three types of electrode provided there are WPSs that cover the three types of electrode.

Best regards - Al

I do not agree that they are considered two different welding processes. Just because you change an essential variable does not make it a separate process. Filler metal product form is an essential variable for GTAW as well, but if I change to flux cored filler metal, it doesn't mean it is not GTAW.

Section IX, QW-255, Flux Cored Arc Welding
Date Issued: 02/27/1978
Record Number: BC-77-502
Interpretation Number : IX-78-16
Question(s) and Reply(ies):
Question: Does gas metal-arc welding (GMAW) in the procedure qualification and performance qualification refer also to flux cored arc welding (FCAW)? If so, should welders be qualified separately under both processes?

Reply: Flux cored arc welding (FCAW) is permissible under the Code and is considered to come under the more general method of welding known as gas metal-arc welding (GMAW). Welders do not have to be qualified separately unless there is a change in any of the Essential Variables. However, there is an Essential Variable for procedure qualification, QW-404.23, that requires separate qualification for solid wire and for flux cored wire for the GMAW process.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back