Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GMAW Spray Welding Duplex SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcer

Materials
Dec 30, 2004
US
Does anyone have experience with GMAW spray welding of Dupplex SS? The procedure must meet the usual ferrite restrictions, impact tests, and corrosion tests per A 923, as well as the usual mechanical tests req'd per Sec IX. I have a FCAW that is qualified but this particular customer doesn't allow FCAW.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have used the GMAW spray transfer method on low alloy and stainless steel. We had problems with lack of fusion weld defects, in general. You have to work very closely with the welders, and have them gain experience with this process to overcome these defects.

A source of excellent technical information regarding fabrication and welding of duplex ss is below;

A philosophical question - "Why would anybody want to reject a perfectly good FCAW procedure and insist on one that most practicing welding engineers recognise as inherently prone to LOF defects??"

The only explanation I have is ignorance. I don't mean to be facetious, I relly believe that many people in the position of making these decisions, really don't know much about the process and in many cases don't know much about welding in general. I believe that fluxcore got a bad reputation many years ago (30+) in the old innershield days that it hasn't been able to completely shake. I'm not saying that FCAW is the process for all applications, but in my mind it definitely has it's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back