Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goal Seek or Solver to Solve for two Unknows?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CWEngineer

Civil/Environmental
Jul 3, 2002
US
Hi,

I am trying to figure out if Goal Seek or Solver would be the most appropriate to find two values (Qd for LRB & Qd for NR) that when they are multiplied by a desired value (8 and 24,respectively) would give me another desired value (665.1). Please see attach excel spreadsheet for what I am trying to do.

(8)(Qd for LRB) + (24)(Qd for NR) = 665.1

Really appreciate your help in your guidance on how to accomplish this.

Thanks

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d92f6f12-ba1b-4153-9517-c60a59d837c0&file=Solving_for_Individual_Properties_(02012015).xlsx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm almost certainly missing something here, but it looks like all you are trying to do is solve a single equation for two unknowns.[ ] If so, there is an infinity of possible answers.[ ] You need to introduce another equation, converting the problem to two equations for two unknowns.[ ] Or you need to introduce some sort of optimisation requirement, such as that you require the sum of (Qd for LRB) and (Qd for NR) to be a minimum.

Or you need to explain your requirements in a bit more depth.

As the others posted, you have an infinite number of results. Actually, the formula you've posted results in a line:
Qd for NR = (665.1 - 8(Qd for LRB))/24
This result in a line with Qd for NR ranging from 0 to 27.7125 and Qd for LRB ranging from 83.1375 to 0 (if we're only looking at the cases where both Qd's aren't negative).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back