Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Good analog design book(s) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JigaWatt

Electrical
Jul 15, 2002
US
I have recently been offered an excellent oportunity, however it is one which will require significant analog and digital design skills. Can someone recommend a good book or books for analog design? I have my BS in EE, but I know I have a lot to learn before I am proficient in analog design.

Thanks! Any tips or suggestions on learning would be greatly appreciated!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What specific type of Analog Design? This can cover a variety of fairly distinct topics.

A) Design of discrete transistor/FET circuits?
B) Power transistor/MOSFET circuit and switchmode/switch regulated power supply design?
C) Low noise/small signal/high gain op-amp circuit design?
D) High speed op-amp circuit design? (where analog borders on RF).
E) High speed transmission line/impedance matched/digital circuit buss/clock design? (where analog borders on digital and RF).
F) Extreme temperature analog design? (i.e. down-hole instruments or vehicle electronics).
G) Sensor/sensor circuit interface design?
H) Active Filter design and/or LRC filter design? (borders on the DSP and RF worlds).
I) Analog IC or RFIC design? (Analog design in the semiconductor fabrication world).

There are excellent books that are tailored to some of the specific areas listed above. The best real-world (non-textbook) books are the ones that come with some manufacturers seminars (i.e. Analog Devices, National Semi, Texas Instruments, and app notes published by these companies and Linear Technology, Maxim, Burr Brown (now TI) plus other linear device manufacturers.

Try to have a look at the books written by Bob Pease. The man's a genius. He was of the first teams that developed linear ICs at National Semiconductor. He puts lots of humor and common sense to topics that may look boring to some, but it helps in developing a feeling of the analog world. These are not recipe books.

Get a National Semiconductor "Linear Applications Handbook"
It is available wherever you can get NS databooks.

Also another vote for "The Art of Electronics" Very good book.

"Switching power supply design" by Abraham Pressman.

"Design with operational amplifiers and analog integrated
circuits" by Sergio Franco.

"High speed digital design , a handbook of black magic"
by Howard Johnson and Martin Grahm

These are my favorites
Rodar

Thanks Roder for your recommendations. I am trying to find some good reference books too. Yesterday I just checked some reviews on Amazon.com and two books that you mentioned: "Switching power supply design" and "Design with operational amplifiers and analog intergrated circuits" are in my favorate list too along with some other books. Yesterday I ordered another book: Electrical Engineer's Reference Book (it costs me 150 bucks). Can you comment on that book too? It is on the 16th edition now.

Annie

Try not to drop the EE reference book on your foot or you may be sorry!

I personally find that the compendium sort of books are ok as a quick reference but tend not to go into a great deal of detail (or they'd be even heavier and bigger than they are already).

I'd vote for the Art of Electronics too.

Bob Pease's books are a good read. Troubleshooting Analog Circuits is good for when things go a bit haywire.

Analog Circuit Design, Art Science and Personalities Edited by Jim Williams is worth a look.

The Circuit Designer's Companion by Tim Williams gives pointers on some of the things to do and not to do.

Yeah I know it is a heavy book because it has about 1700 pages and Amazon charged extra $2.00 besides their standard shipping rate.

I hope I can get some typical circuits such as backup battery switching circuit from that book. Our current backup battery switching circuit seems to cause some problems and I don't know if I have any other alternatives. Also I once met some problems in driving an AC powered motor and it generated spikes. Later we found out we should put RC network for inductive load. I hope this reference book may provide such "common senses" on those things.

BTW, I read some recommendations for: The Mythical Man-Month, and was tempted to buy that one too. Do you have any comment on that one? Thanks. ^_^

I will check the content and comments for "The art of electronics" too.

Annie

I just checked reviews of "The art of Electronics" on Amazon.com. Some think highly of it while some others don't like it at all. But seems that this one is the "cookbook" I want in order to get some typical and commonly used circuits.

Annie

Art of electronics is a good basic overview of analog design. It is a good book, but it does not go anywhere near deep enough on some topics if you are doing analog design yourself. But it is a handy book to keep on the shelf.

My particular field of interest is switchmode power supply design, particularly the magnetics. The best book I have seen on the subject is "Switchmode Power Supply Handbook" by Keith Billings ISBN 0-07-005330-8

I've studied all about electronics ( except power electronics) by the Microelectronics by Adel Sedra. It's quite big but it covers a lot of subjects.

By the way, i've studied power electronics by a book called Electronique de puissance written by a french guy

Best regards, Carlos Cardoso

Best regards, Carlos Cardoso

hi,
If you are into CMOS digital and analog circuit design, Dr.Jacob Baker's "CMOS Circuit Design Layout & Simulation" is an excellent one.

For amplifier design, Audio Power Amplifier Design Handbook by Douglas Self, ISBN 0-7506-5636-0, published by Newnes, is an excellent reference. A lot of interesting stuff applicable to many other areas of analogue design other than audio, which can get a bit tangled up in pseudo-science and black magic. This book doesn't, making it an informative read.

His website is worth a look to:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back