Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good book for programming computational geotechnical analysis?

Status
Not open for further replies.

asiga

Structural
Sep 23, 2017
ES
Hi!

Is there some good book you'd recommend for implementing computer codes for numerical analysis (read: FEM, finite differences, and/or their relatives) of geotechnical analysis (specially topics related to buildings, such as: settlement, soil failure, slope stability, seepage, altering the water table, excavation safety -heave/ quick condition-, damage to nearby buildings, and related problems in buildings and foundations).

Yes, before posting I've been looking for these types of books. Found a few of them, but the most recent ones are about new methods and advancements in the field, so they assume that you already have your code for basic methods and that your interest is in enhancing your code with new algorithms. Moreover, they don't have reviews, or have a low score (not sure why, though). I didn't find a book covering everything, from the basic finite difference codes with earlier algorithms, to most recent advancements.

If I had to pick a book from the ones I found, it would be "Computational Geomechanics" by Arnold Verruijt (Springer, 1995). It's the one I liked the most because it has CODE (well, it's TurboPascal, but that's fine even if I don't use Pascal, because one of the things I value the most in a computational analysis book is that the author knows to write code as fluidly as he writes text --the computational literature is full of authors who don't use a compiler in their daily work, and I'd prefer to avoid those).

What's the general opinion about this 1995 book by Verruijt? Are the methods described in the book still of use nowadays? Do you know of any other book in this style (ie: text+code), perhaps a more recent book? One of the limits in this book is that it's 2D only, but apart from that I like it.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back