Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good gaming laptotop better than cad laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bouing

Mechanical
Jun 8, 2007
CA
Hi,

I am in the process of buying a new Dell M4400 laptop. I was wondering if the M770 card included is better than a good gaming card we can find in the personnal gaming laptop serie.

Gaming laptop are less expensive and in desktop I've heard that gaming card are as good for less money than cad card.

Any cue on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some gaming cards can give good or even very good performance when used with SW. When soft modded they can even be as good as Quadro FX cards.

In general however, gaming cards will not be anywhere near as good as CAD specific cards.

[cheers]

SolidWorks is quite finicky when it comes to the graphics card and drivers. As such one of the first questions asked as part of diagnosing a problem with SolidWorks is “Are you using an approved card and driver?” When you answer no, the recommended solution will be to switch to an approved card and driver. This fixes enough problems that it is hard to argue against it being the top recommendation.

Save yourself some time and grief and go with a CAD card listed as approved on the SolidWorks web site.

Eric

I have a gaming card on my home system which costs about 1/3 of my cad card at work, and I notice no difference in performance. I do not get realview, but thats just eye candy for my specific instance and not something required.

I also dont use assemblies that have more than 100 parts, so your milage may vary.

I am no expert on graphics cards, but from what I understand with the move to Vista OS and Direct3D and away from OpenGL there is no incentive to go for a CAD card over a game card. Please respond with url links to information to set me straight if my understanding is flawed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back