Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good heat transfer book suggestions 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

findlay234

Automotive
Jul 27, 2004
GB
Hi there, been having a look through the forums for good heat transfer books to study. Ive been working on an extremely high altitude UAV and as a near space environment the radiation transfer mechanism is very prominent. Ive got a thermodynamics book (cengel and boles) which is good for some things but definately not radiation. What i would like is a book that covers mainly heat transfer (as opposed to all other facets of thermodynamics) and looks into radiation in some depth. a book that highlights computational methods and hand methods would be ideal. Oh, it must be an SI unit book as well.

Ive had a look through amazon at a couple of books such as:

Fundamentals of Heat and Mass Transfer (Incropera)
Heat and mass transfer (cengel)
Heat transfer (Holman)
Introduction to heat transfer (incropera)

Any suggestions or information welcome

Cheers
Fin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The one book I kept from college was "Principles of Heat Transfer" by Kreith. While somewhat outdated, he has extensive material property tables.

The other heat transfer book I used a lot was "Heat Transfer - Professional Version" by Thomas because it provides information on how to calculate the heat transfer coefficient for in-service heat exchangers (as I used to have to verify that operating heat exchangers met their design heat transfer rate.)

I've seen Lienhard's book (mentioned by IRStuff) get a lot of positive references on this site. You can also search in the forum/site as the question of reference books comes up frequently.

In the end, the heat transfer reference you need is one that will help you with your job and it probably isn't one-size-fits all, much less one document. Besdies the two books I've mentioned, I also have several EPRI papers, some internal documents, some manufacturer's manuals and access to the TEMA standards -- all relating to the type of heat exchangers that I dealt with.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

I had this text for a radiation heat transfer class: Thermal Radiation Heat Transfer by Siegel and Howell

It was a good text if you already have a background in heat transfer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back