Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good litterture? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andresen

Petroleum
Dec 13, 2004
NO
Hi everyone!

I'm new to vibration analysis, and therefore I need som litterature on the field. I'm working with Condition Monitoring of subsea pumps. It seems to me that:

Harris' Shock and Vibration Handbook (5th Edition)
Edited by: Harris C.M.; Piersol, A.G. © 2002 McGraw-Hill

is a solid and thorough book on the subject. Am I right. or should I go for another book?

Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ANDRESEN:

The book is okay, but I beleive you need information on Machinery Condition Analysis. This is done by taking vibration readings on rotating equipment and comparing the results over time to find out when to overhaul the equipement. I know there are courses out there that teach that and there are probably some books. I suggest a web search for books and courses. Hopefully you are working wiht an experienced engineer in MCA. If so, use their knowledge, at least as a start.

Good Luck
Dave

For seminars on Condition Monitoring and Vibration analysis, the folks at Technical Associates put on a variety of courses:
Here is a link to some books on condition monitoring and vibration analysis:
For interactive CD vibration training, the iLearnVibration series is quite good:
Best forum I've found on vibration and condition monitoring is hosted by Reliability Magazine at:
Good luck to you.

Dave G.

intro to machinery analysis and monitoring by John S. Mitchell; the simplified handbook of vibration analysis vol's 1&2 by Art Crawford; seminars by TA, the Vibration Institute, and many, many credible others out there found by web search vibration analysis training.

Roy Gariepy
Maintenance and Reliability Dept.
Dorlastan Fibers LLC.
Goose Creek, South Carolina USA

you might want to try books listed or recommended on the Vibration Institute's website. Two i can recommend are Charles Jackson's "Pratical vibration Primer" and Taylor's "Vibration Analysis Handbook"

One book I can recommend is "Vibration Spectrum Analysis" by Steve Goldman published by Industrial Press.

Good Luck!

Go Mechanical Engineering
Tobalcane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back