Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

good structural book

Status
Not open for further replies.

purdue87

Mechanical
Dec 24, 2007
US
my background is heat transfer. i currently own a concrete construction company and need to brush up on structural behavior, retaining wallls, loading, etc. the basics are what i am interested in. i am very computer literate, so an inexpensive piece of software is not out of the question. any asce books / publications recommendations? thanks...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A good, albeit not terribly in-depth general book would be the "Structural Engineering Reference Manual" by Alan Williams.

This book is typically purchased by engineers about to take the PE. I forewarn you that it is by no means a comprehensive treatment of structural engineering, but it does go through many basic design procedures.

The one aspect that is completely lacking is structural analysis (you indicated that you would like some literature on loads, etc.). The only books on this subject with which I am familiar would probably be too technical for someone just looking for some basic concepts, so I'll reserve that recommendation for someone who may know of a better book.

You may want to look on amazon.com and read the feedback- this should at least give you some idea of the audience for which the book is intended.

I personally like Principals of Foundation Engineering by
BRAJA M. DAS for Retaining walls and footings.

As for not foundation concrete...

You might like

Reinforced Concrete Mechanics and Design by James G. MacGregor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back