Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Text/Book on pipe system design 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zonkytonkman

Petroleum
Jul 29, 2003
CA
Hello, we are finally taking a piping system design course in my mech engineering program, and we have been stuck with a new teacher who is somewhat less than stellar. I realize this forum is about professional engineering queries, but my last work term was with a company that required a lot of pipe system design, and I believe I'll be returning to that company after this semester. It is very important to me that I know how to do this sort of thing, and do it well. This course has no textbook, all of the notes come in handouts, however they are far from complete, noone in the class seems to know what is going on. If anyone could reccomend a good book that they use to reference while desgining piping systems, I would greatly appreciate it.

Regards
Joseph Coady

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The fluid flow aspects of piping system design are well covered in
Benedict,R.P.,1980,"Fundamentals of Pipe Flow", John Wiley & Sons, 550pp., Library No. TJ 935 .B46

A more recent book addressing mechanical design, construction, materials, pipeline integrity, transients, pumps, route selection, etc. for liquids and gases is cited in the ASME 2004 publications booklet.
Mohitpour,M. etal, 2003, "Pipeline Design and Construction: A Practical Approach", 2nd Edition, ASME, 700pp, ISBN 0-7918-0202-7 $110/$88(ASME Member)

Find an old Kelloggs Piping book from the 1950's:
M.W. Kellogg Co., "Design of Piping Systems," 2nd ed., (NY:John Wiley & Sons) 1956.

You should check with the company you worked for particularly if it is involve in petroleum refining. See what reference books they use. Also clarify if it is piping application or stress analysis that you need. I use the "Piping Guide" by Syentek Books for practical application. I use Piping Design & Engineering by Grinnell Corporation for stress analysis. However the heavy piping companies should have computerized piping stress analysis programs.

Hello,

It is always good to try a search when you are using this discussion forum. You will find that your question has been asked MANY times before.

This thread may provide some value to you:

thread378-93194

Good Luck in your career.

Best regards, John

Hello,
does anyone know where i can find the grinnel's book:

"Piping Design & Engineering" ? is it still available?,

thank you in advance for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back