Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good Timber and/or Masonry Text 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're trying to improve our structural library and I feel we're a little shy on the Timber and Masonry areas. We have the ASD Manual for Engineered Wood Construction and the TEK Masonry Binder. But what I'm really looking for is a good text...like the books you learn from while in college. Plenty of explanation, with plenty of full-blown examples and pictures. Text that teach well, instead of talking in lots of code-ese or just provide lots of short-cut tables.

Anybody have any books they'de like to recommend?
ISBN number would probably make my search for them easier too, if possible.

Many thanx

Reinforced Masonry Engineering Handbook - James E. Amrhein
used as text at university; 0-8493-7551-7

Masonry Designer's Guide MDG-4 4e "The MAsonry Society"
Based on ACI 530-02; 1-929081-20-0

Design of Wood Structures ASD, Breyer. It's in 5th ed., don't have the ISBN for that one. The 4th edition is very good, used as univeristy text.

NDS 2001. It comes with supplements in addition to the code body and the design values. Excellent thing to have IMHO.

One book that I often recommend is the "Residential Structural Design Guide: 2000". But you don't have to take my word for it. Your can download the .pdf version for free here:
and if you like it, buy the print version for $30 here:

Agree with UcfSE about Breyer's "Design of Wood Stuctures, ASD". I use the (dated) third edition.
ISBN for the fifth edition is: 0071379320

BTW, the best search engine for book pricing that I have found is:
You can search on ISBN, Author, Title, Keywords,etc.

I also agree with UCfSE. Breyer and Amrhein are great reference manuals. With the wood design, you should also consider getting the APA Design/Construction Guides: Diaphragms and Shear Walls and Residential and Commercial. It would be nice if Amrhein could put out one more great manual and consider updating his Masonry book to include the new IBC and ACI 530.

Another good reference book is the"Timber Construction Manual" published by AITC. I would try to get the Fourth Edition instead of the Fifth Edition, because the Fourth Edition has a lot more information than the Fifth Edition. The Fifth Edition also is a good book and probably more suited for an inexperience engineer.
"
There is also the "Wood Engineering and Construction Handbook" published by McGraw-Hill and edited by Keith Faherty and Thomas Wiliamson.

If I could only have one wood reference book I would chose Breyer's book, His book is the best text book for wood design that I've seen.

DBNERDS:

I strongly recommend a recipe-type book. Not because is recipe type, but because it deals with topics that I haven't found anywhere else, including master's Breyer Book.
I found it by chance on the internet and it called "Timber Solutions Manual" by David Duquette P.E. it does not cover any theory but the examples are thorough and as I said covers weird topics like Custom Built-up beams, and the typical topics and examples.

I would also recommend Schneider's "Reinforced Masonry Design" I heard from my instructor it is the best, but I still like better "Masonry Designers Guide", I have the third edition, but there's a fourth one out there I think.

Hopefully these recommendations serve you well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back