Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Good training materials?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pkelecy

Mechanical
Jun 9, 2003
US
I will be starting a trial of SE this week and was wondering what training materials would be good to use?

I know SE comes with some tutorials, and that's probably where I'll start. But I also saw that a few third party books available:

+ "Solid Edge v20 for Designers" by Sham Tickoo,

+ "Learning and Applying Solid Edge V20 2008 Step-by-Step" by Scott Hanson.

I'm considering picking up one (or both) of these as well. These often do a better job of teaching a new user how to use the software than the included materials. Has anyone used either of these? If so, how are they?

Since this is a trial, I probably won't invest in any formal training at this point. So I want to use the best written materials available to, hopefully, perform an honest evaluation SE as quickly as I can.

Thanks for any advice or suggestions on this. I appreciate it. -Pat

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks CBL!

Interesting. How is the quality their training?

After looking it over, the only concern I have (other than how good it is) is that it appears to be online only. I find viewing training materials online (ie. on my monitor) a little awkward, as usually there isn't enough space to comfortably view both the training materials and the software I'm trying to learn. I actually prefer to have a print out the training materials, if possible. I find that easier, plus I can write notes on it to clarify certain points.

Pat

We use Igetit for our interns. Seems to work reasonably well but I haven't used it myself. Tutorials actually aren't too bad.

Take a look at the FAQ area of this forum for a set of tips for effective sketching etc.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at

Pat

The built in tutorials are actually very good and I doubt you would need much else for a trial.

Sham's book is OK. It covers a lot of stuff and is quite good for reference but acutually isn't all that detailed.

Again, Igetit is OK but doesn't really go that much beyond the built in tutorials.

So far the ST tutorials are only available via the GTAC website and a webkey is required. I would ask your VAR if he can get a PDF copy or temporary webkey for you. You really need this if you are going to get to grips with ST. Bear in mind that when evaluating SE, you are really testing (and learning) 2 quite different packages - this will take some time to do.

Tony

Thanks for the additional the responses.

I guess I'll start out with the included tutorials and see how that goes. If after that I feel I still need something more, than I'll check out one of the other options (probably Igetit).

I hope the built-in tutorials include pdf versions though. I as mentioned above, I find a hard copy easier to work from.

Tony - I did ask my var about ST documentation. He's looking into that for me. Thanks for the suggestion.

Pat

Pat
There are 2 documents for ST. The first is "Getting Started with ST". This is included in the standard tutorials but is also a downloadable PDF which your VAR will likely supply if asked.
The other more detailed info is "Solid Edge Self-Paced Training" (deals only with ST) which is an online tutorial from the GTAC website ONLY. Webkey access required.

I have found no way to print the standard tutorials but if you have a wide screen monitor it actually works very well - much better format than Igetit.

Tony

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back