Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Good way to catalog Matlab code?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spdracer22

Automotive
Feb 16, 2005
US
My place of work has a large number of custom Matlab functions, but a lot of stuff gets rewritten just due to the fact that none of the individual programmers (myself included) really know what has already been done.

So...does anyone have a good solution for aggregating code? The only requirement is that it has to be hosted from our internal network (no internet-based search engines). OSS is welcomed.

Ideally, I'd like something like a VB/C dll... But, I don't think Matlab supports such a thing...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

A quick method is to create a preparsed pseudocode file using the pcode function of your m-file and put the p-file on the network.

or

Use the Matlab Compiler toolbox to create a standalone executable program or a dll.

It all depends on how much effort YOU want to put in. Most code, written for personal usem, tends to short on documentation and commentary. My experience has been that most engineers tend to rewrite, rather than to spend time to figure out if some sparsely documented code is even applicable.

How is the code validated? Would someone really use a canned routine without knowing whether it is correct?

Any canned C-code would need to have a completely intuitively obvious interface with no room for errors. This would require substantial amounts of up front work to develop these interfaces and validate them.

Lots of companies talk about calculation code management, but I'm not convinced that anyone has the time or energy to make it a viable situation. My own Mathcad calcs tend to be cryptic, even to myself.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Additionally, source code is still required. We've got about 5 different versions of a particular type of calculation, and invariably, someone wants a different output or a different analysis, and that requires modification of the source code to generate something new.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back