Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Goose droppings 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnMacUSACE

Civil/Environmental
Apr 10, 2007
US
Any ideas on methods to keep geese and ducks away from a sand beach swimming area on a freshwater pond in massachusetts? They leave a mess on the sand and dock floats.
Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Form a Goose/Duck Focus Group. Survey the members. Appoint a sub-committee to study the matter and report back before 2010. Go on vacation in Barbados.

I have heard of people having luck with some type of grape seed extract.

You can herd them into cages and relocate them. I saw a preview just last night on Sat-TV...

Open session starting 5.30am every day should give the desired result.

Short term methods are mostly illegal and/or attract attention from do-gooders.

Long term: Find their nests and keep emptying them. Take a walk before breakfast, come back with breakfast.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

You might take a tip from the British Air Force; they have a section of "Falconers" that routinely patrol the landing strips to keep the birds away, so the birds are not ingested in the jet engines. As I remember they originally contracted this operation out, but it was so successful that they incorporated it into the normal service of the military there. Being an "EX" falconer myself, you'd be surprised by the reactions of wild birds when your carrying a hawk or falcon on your arm! Good Luck!

Most golf courses in this area (Big problems with geese) use dogs or noise makes like blank shoot gun shells.

During the breeding season get to the nests and dip the eggs is kerosene, then place them back on the nest. We hd problems with them floating around on slow sand filters, we trie shooting them, but they always came back, we tried propane cannon to scare them off but nothing really worked art from the kerosene. Eve then it wasn;t unil the next year that e saw an improvement. Hope this helps

Monterey continues smothering goose eggs with oil
The Associated Press
Article Last Updated: 06/05/2007 11:04:17 AM PDT

MONTEREY, Calif.—In an effort to eliminate bird droppings, the city is smothering goose eggs with vegetable oil.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service has permitted the city to addle or oil-coat Canada goose eggs in nests for the past five years to stall bird population growth.

"The droppings are so large, and the volume of droppings is so great, it's really not pleasant for people to even come into the park. You really have to watch your step," city park superintendent Doug Stafford said.

The depredation order is granted to prevent damage or contaminate land.

The goose flock has become a familiar sight at El Estero.

"They don't seem to be going back to Canada too much," Stafford said.

The city has spent about $6,000 a year for a dog to harass the geese into moving, Stafford said, but using corn oil to smother the eggs is much cheaper. The addling operation runs from March 1 to June 30.

Information from: The Monterey County Herald,

This has been a major issue in WA state. I read that Kirkland WA was spending $80,000 plus annually on goose control. Regional strategies have included eradication (killing), egg addling, and dog patrols. Issues are human health risks and nutrient loads to lakes. I recommend typing "seattle kirkland goose control droppings" into your search engine and you will find a ton of information on past approaches. The City has also been working with a local animal welfare organization to have volunteers apply "FlightControl Plus". Because this approach seems humane and non-lethal you are less likely to run into community (animal activist) opposition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back