Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Got a job as an Electrical Supervisor in the mining industry. Advices to deal with it? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dvhez

Electrical
Jun 19, 2018
CL
I only have 2 years of experience doing engineering and now I am in the construction area as an electrical supervisor. The project is really simple, just 2 pole transformers (100 kVA each) and an optical fibre tie-in, of course with a few electrical and instrumentation panels.

The thing is that I must supervise that everything is done correctly and in a safe way. What would you recommend me to study in order to be clear about the steps that the contractor shall follow to install these transformers, panels, etc?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Investigate your possible personal liability in the event of an injury.
Immediately consult your company's safety department and review the company safety policies and rules.
Put the numbers for emergency contacts on your phone.
Fire.
Ambulance.
Company safety department.
Company response team.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Never forget or omit OSHA 1926.952
Should something happen, it’s the very first document asked for.

Wait, just realized you stated mining. MSHA may have similar requirements.

"Never forget or omit OSHA 1926.952
Should something happen, it’s the very first document asked for."

Basically exactly what my supervisor says to me, followed by "If you don't have one, I can't help you if something happens."

We have assumed that you are technically capable of handling your new responsibilities.
In today's safety climate, safety procedures and personal liability are the big issues.
I know of some companies who provide personal liability insurance for their mid and upper level supervisors.
Some of the lower level supervisors purchase their own personal liability insurance.
When things go sideways, everything may go sideways.
After you have assured your personal liability, you may wish to review the contract documents carefully to see exactly what the contractor is contracted for.
You may consult your legal department and/or your purchasing department.
As far as the technical aspects, talk to the lead hands and the operators about any special conditions, hazards and/or problems.
Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back