Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Got the Job offer, now what? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

supersv6

Mechanical
Aug 22, 2008
AU
Hi All,

I'm a mechanical engineer graduated in December 2006 and have experience (1 year) working in a large facility management company with the head office based in Melbourne, Australia.

Cutting the long story short, I have recently applied for a graduate position (also known as the Graduate Program) at my parent company and was offered a position a few days ago. I've analyzed the job offer, and want to negotiate a few points mentioned in the offer, and have a few questions for those with experience.

The position requires me to be moving to a rural country area for three months initially and was told in my interview that my accommodation will be paid for, and also so-called 'living away from home allowance'. In the offer, I will be given only one months' accommodation and there is no mention of the 'living away from home allowance'. I'm not too fussed about moving from city to a rural area, however there is no way a landlord will give me two months lease for a property. A standard lease is one year in Australia. Do you think it is fair that the company fork out the entire three month's accommodation?

Secondly, is working hours. Yes I did express I am willing to fork in additional hard-yard to get jobs done and I made it clear that I am hard-working. However, I think my potential employer is taking advantage of this fact. In the letter of offer, under the 'ordinary hours or work' heading, there is no mention of a ball park figure of the hours of work. In Australia, the standard is 40 hours, that is from what I understand. With my current job I work about 43-45 hours per week excluding lunch time. During the interview with my potential employer, the manager said that "you can expect to start from 7am and finish off at 5pm", and if necessary, work on Saturdays". That would be over 50 hours a week.

The graduate program officially wont start till JAN 2009 and when I asked my potential employer the question "What will I be doing initially if that is the case"? Their reply was something along the lines of "well you could be starting off doing entering time sheets into the computers, and a few other things. it'll be a good opportunity to get your foot in the door".

YES, i know it is a good opportunity, but isn't the whole point of a graduate program is to develop a young gun like me (who, has not got much experience. 1 year is nothing in my current job).

At the moment, I would like to negotiate and ask them to specify a ballpark figure on working hours, and clarify on accommodation arrangements. If the graduate program doesn't start till JAN 2009, I wouldn't mind staying at my current job until JAN 2009. But at the same time I dont want to shoot myself in the foot and loose an opportunity.

Any opinions and thoughts, are much welcomed.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are employed as an engineer then you are probably operating under an Award (I think if you are employed in Vic that is the Federal Award). That means your pay should be at least 130% of a time-served fitter, and your hours and so on, and overtime rates, are defined.

I suggest you start negotiating about the accomodation costs. Either they pay you relocation both ways or they pay the lodging cost for the duration. I wouldn't get too bolshie about the hours, you can sort that out once you have the job, with APESMA's help.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Generally the month of paid accommodation is meant for a hotel while you are finding something longer term yourself. Again, companies generally pay or reimburse your room rate over this period with your food and incidentals covered as expenses or as a per diem.
My experience in Australia is that once you find your own place, a single monthly allowance is paid to cover rent, utilities and generally nearly all your living cost!

From my experience: NOTHING that was SAID matters unless it is in writing. NOTHING.

Negotiate, and get it writing. Decide what you want, and what you are willing to accept. If it doesn't suit you, walk away. If this level of assertiveness from a young man offends the Old Guard at the company, you probably don't want to work for them anyway.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

Bring up the accommodations. You most likely got the standard language for the offer sheet (as if someone was relocating permanently) instead of the special temporary circumstances you discussed. As for hours, you're better off asking to talk to someone else who is in that position (or went through that program) to see what will be required than trying to negotiate certain language in the contract. They will expect you to do what everyone else has to do to get the job done.

As for your duties until Jan 2009....as assigned. If they are going to develop you, it would make sense for you to understand the ins and outs of the administration/organizational structure/filing/software/etc within the company and I wouldn't think too much of it knowing it will only be temporary.

er,
how did you get the job? did you simply ask for it and they offered it to you or did you interview?

Usually the offer should summarise what has already been agreed, negotiating after the event can be a bit tricky, as I discovered in my youth when an offer I received was withdrawn.

Really speaking when applying for the job you should have a clear idea of what you want and at some point the discussion will naturally open up to include terms and conditions (if they don;t open up or don;t let you open up, they probably aren't interested). This is not only a legitimate area of discussion but an essential part of the discussions.

Of course, I'm the other side of the world from you and maybe it is different in Oz.

JMW

Jmw,

The recruitment process that my potential used includes testing and interviews and the position was advertised widely here in the recruitment circles. This company is expanding and needs people. TO my surprise during my interview is that the manager who interviewed me said "well, we dont really need you. we're giving you an opportunity".

The only question that relates to my salary was "How much are you currently getting". I was kind of relieved when they verbally said accomodation and an allowance was given but anything verbal, as I have learn here is not official until it is set in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back