Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GOUGE & DENTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

mohd

Mechanical
Jan 3, 2001
SA
HI ALL :

could you please provide me with more information about the above subject matter, gouge and dents?

i mean could anybody elaborate on this, give their techanial definitions, if some exist on a peice of pipe how can i deal with or repair it?

and, i would really appreaciate it if one could refer me to good site which gives such a basic info.
best regards;
mohd

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mohd,

I suggest that you consult the piping design code that governs your installation. Look under the section that describes "minimum wall thickness" or "calculation of wall thickness" This section will give guideance on the maximum "gouge" size that can be tolerated without repair or replacement.

Look at the section that describes "out of roundness". This will give you some direction on the size of a dent that can be tolerated.

Good Luck !

MJC

It really does depend on the code you are bound to. I've done a lot with natural gas pipelines in the United States following the proscriptive regulations in 49 CFR 192 and the suggested guidelines in ASME B31.8. For lower pressure systems with small blunt plastic deformations you can do almost anything (or nothing). That all changes when you have stress risers, pressure cycles, thermal cycles, and severe plastic deformation. Leaking pipelines are also a different animal.

There are tons of ways to fix these defects. The best is probably to just replace the cylinder of pipe that is damaged. Barring that you can use full-encirclement fittings (bolt-on or welded), patch repairs, and even some composites. You might want to check out:

Good luck.

CR Alexander and JF Keifner has done an in-depth study sponsored by API to determine dents on intehrity of the liquid petroleum pipeline. It appeared in the June 1998 issue of the Pipeline and Gas Industry journal (archives available in the web).

Another reference i can suggest is the pipeline welding and inspection published by AWS based on the proceeding of Conf Ag 1980. A paper again presented by JK Keifner where he talks about dents and gouges (page 77).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back