Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Governing Thickness of Non-Standard Flanges for Impact Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashaykadam

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2012
IN
I observed a conflict in two clauses of ASME Sec. VIII Div. 1 UCS-66 as follows:

UCS-66 (a)(3): The governing thickness of nonwelded parts, such as bolted flanges, tubesheets and flat heads, is the flat component thickness divided by 4.

FIG. UCS-66.3 (c): tg2 = tc;
where, tc = thickness of shell welded to flange.
Flange thickness is not considered.

What thickness shall be considered while checking Impact Test requirement for a Non-Standard Flange?
- Flange Thickness/4; as per UCS-66 (a)(3) or
- Thickness of shell welded to flange; as per FIG. UCS-66.3 (c)

I feel in case of FIG. UCS-66.3 (c), they have forgotten to specify note that," The governing thickness of 'A'; means Bolted Flat Cover, is the greater of tg1 & tg2. (which appears in Fig. (d) & (c))
In that case this FIG. UCS-66.3 (c) will be applicable only for determination of govering thickness of 'Bolted Flat Cover' & shall not be used for Flange by any means.

Please provide your opinion.

Thanks.

Ashay Kadam
Manager
Mechanical Department

Uhde India Private Limited
Mumbai, India.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

ashaykadam, see UCS-66(a), 2nd para. for separate components.

Butt welded? See UCS-66 (a)(1)(a).
Corner joint? see UCS-66(a)(1)(b).
Not welded to another piece? See UCS-66(a)(1)(c).

Regards,

Mike

In my opinion, in case of non welded parts only T/4 to be considered. But if it is welded then welded thickness criteria needs to be considered. (maximum of T/4 and tw).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back