Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GPS RFID serial interface

Status
Not open for further replies.

gstq54

Computer
May 11, 2004
US
I am clueless when it comes to hardware interfaces so any help will be greatly appreciated

I am working on a vehicle inventory program using rfid tags attached to vehicles. The vehicles are located on several different lots and we want to mark their location using GPS. The idea is to read the tag and then it's GPS location and then transmit that information to a central server.

Currently I have Zeus wireless transceivers that have a single serial port. So essentially I what I need is a device that will read the tag info followed by the GPS input and then output that data via the transceiver.

The rfid tag reader and the GPS unit are both serial.

The hardware needs to be portable

I can handle the software side of the equation but your input regarding hardware would be most helpful.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It sounds like what you really want/need is determine the protocol to query the remote transceiver. If you're planning on using a PLC to do it, expect to have some difficulty unless the remote transceivers talk a protocol like modbus, which a number of PLCs support to varying degrees, and which I'd consider unlikely. PLCs are nearly impossible to develop non-standard communications routines for--short of being able to modify or append to the firmware.

You may be better off using something like VB on a desktop or laptop PC and develop your own interface logic via Com1 or whatever is available (unless the transceiver manuf. has an off-the-shelf package that does what you want). Again, it really depends on the comm protocol and you comfort level with "the software side."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back