Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grade 9 vs Grade 91 chromoly

Status
Not open for further replies.

atomicbob

Industrial
May 5, 2008
US
We are fabricating ASME Code pressure vessels specified to be 9 chrome. We had used Gr 91 in our calculations and drawings for the plate materials, as it was the only grade of 9cr in our software (Advance Pressure Vessel).

The material we received is grade 9, and it was rejected as non-conforming by the client inspector. I believe the gr 9 should be acceptable, but we have been unable to find the stress curves for gr 9 plate in the ASME books, and can't run calculations.

Can anyone give me any direction here?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

atomicbob;
The stress lines for Grade 9 are in Section II, Part D of the ASME B&PV Code. You assumption for using Grade 91 stress values as Grade 9 is incorrect, and should not have been used. You need to re-run the stress calcs using the correct stress values.

Well the good news it was caught in time. Now , the question is , if they are not familiar with the difference between gr 9 and gr 91, doesn't it follow that they probably would not fabricate the gr 91 vessels right the first time?

Well, I seem to be back to where I started. Back in section II part D, Table 1A.

9Cr-1Mo isn't shown in plate form.

What am I missing?

Ah ha! Said the blind man.

SA-387 Gr 9 is not recognized by Sect 8, Div. 1 as pressure vessel material per Table UCS-23.

Thanks for your help guys. I'll buy new shells and heads and then likely have some questions about welding and stress relieving Gr 9 to Gr 91 joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back