Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grade beam reinforcement requirements 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AaronMcD

Structural
Aug 20, 2010
US
I've searched the web and the ACI and can't seem to find any direction for stirrup/closed tie requirements for grade beams bearing on soil. This is a high seismic area, usually SDC D. Since there does not seem to be any code direction, I tend to ask for closed ties at d/2, with longitudinal bars restrained per the requirements similar to columns or special moment frame beams - in other words restrain all longitudinal bars with cross ties or stirrups unless they are closer than 14" apart, in which case every other bar is restrained.

I have a project where the contractors miserably failed to get the reinforcement placed per drawings, and do not want to install the additional several hundred crossties. I said I'd dig into the code and see what I could find, but I can't seem to find anything. What do you all do, and is it based on a source or based on typical practice? My beam is primarily bending, transferring load from concrete shear walls and moment frames into the soil.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looking into it closer, the foundation seismic section of ACI indicates foundation should remain essentially elastic. Also I design these things as transfer beams with overstrength. However, There is a section 18.13.3.3 that refers to special moment frame detailing if columns impart moments into the grade beam. One could argue that the end of a concrete wall imparts a moment similar to the way a column does and it should be detailed similarly at wall ends.

Grade beam is a beam happens to getting in touch of soil. However, the soil has never been allowed/trusted to provide support. So reinforce it as a beam.

Grade beams are supported on piles, pile caps, or spread footing pedestals. Are you talking about the turn down in the mat foundation?

Look at ACI 318-11, 21.12.3.2

image_vqd3na.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back