Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Graded Filter Design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdale

Civil/Environmental
May 24, 2004
US
I am working on a project involving an infiltration gallery, also refered to as a very large drainfield. I have done some calculations for the graded filter I need to place between my drain rock and native soil to prevent clogging and I have selected the material I need to put in the gallery, however the reference I am using for my design calculations seems somewhat dated as well as limited on information. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good reference/resource for graded filter design so I might be able to verify my calculations??

Has anyone ever designed/constructed a large infiltration gallery before? I wouldn't mind hearing about it. The one we are building is 140x70 feet, and 15 feet deep, it is big.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I recommend Foundation Engineering by Peck, Hanson, and Thornburn. In my addition it is discussed on page 49.

Also, any book on dam design should have a section on graded filters. I would not worry about the age of the refference, it's not like filter requirements have changed.

Actually filter design in some cases has changed - especiallyl for fine grained and silty sands. Work by Kenney (University of Toronto in 1985), Sherard (1984) and others caused a number of changes. I suggest you see Conduto's book "Geotechnical Engineering, Principals and Practices" table 8.2. Also, in addition to the USACE manual given by jdonville, check out USACE EM 1110-2-1913, Appendix D. You can also do a search and get the US Dept of Agriculture's National Engineering Handbook, Part 633, Chapter 26, Oct 94. Finally, another reference that has some nice things in it is: .
[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back