Graduate Mechanical Engineer - Need Advice 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dacheeky

Mechanical
Oct 12, 2009
AU
Hello,

I recently graduated and I am looking to embark on a HVAC Building Services engineering career.

I was wondering what are the essential applicable technical engineering skills that are highly valued by building services engineering consulting firms that I could master to make me an attractive candidate?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Learn about Building Physics, and Building Science. Learn about passive solar design, passive cooling design, design and use of thermal mass for building comfort, glass and glazing properties, as well as the usual techno solutions like high efficiency equipment and solar water heating systems. Look up Exergy, and learn that. Learn energy modeling skills and software options to do it. And above all, learn to do your own building HVAC load calculations by hand, and know what they mean, before relying on Excel spreadsheets and software calculation solutions.

A basic understanding of various conventional and even non-conventional HVAC and plumbing systems is a MUST. I don't know how many people I've interviewed who got the "deer in the headlights" look when I asked them about any HVAC systems past rooftop units and VAV reheat, but if I had a dollar for every one of them, I'd have a nice little nest-egg.

I didnt have any HVAC specific courses in college, but did take a Building Science course as GMcD states. It was a great start and I still use it to help better understand coordination with other trades, is Electrical and Plumbing. It is rare, but some schools have HVAC Design courses you can take at night. It will get you into loads, and may or may not get into different types of HVAC systems like the VAV system with reheat. A typical system, but not taught typically taught in school. As a junior to mid level engineer, I found a lot of good info for system knowledge to come from vendors. Trane, Carrier, McQauy etc.
Good luck and don't stress, most places will hire you just because of the mechanical degree (that was my case) and you will learn the HVAC specifics as you go.

energy conserving design strategies are highly sought after and will continue to be. Read ASHRAE std 90.1, and become proficient at understanding and applying the principles laid out in the document, regarding envelope, mecha and elec systems. Become proficient in understanding LEED principles and applications as well as thoroughly understanding builing automation systems and energy management systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back