Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

graphics speed issue v5

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelheadcity

Aerospace
Nov 20, 2013
US
background, up until the past year most of the work I have been doing has been smaller models, up to about 100 pcs. I was using a Dell M4600 laptop. no big deal I could work very easily. well the customer is now sending me their DMU models and they are almost complete aircraft engine along with pylon structure. really large models. the customer is putting them into single catpart files, I have asked to get them to give me products, but they wont. so I have to work with 1.5gb part files. well the laptop just isn't cutting it when trying to load and work with it. they gave me a dell t7600 with a NVidia k5000 graphics card and 65 gb ram. still finding that working with the model is slow. I have read some of the suggestions of lowering the accuracy, level of detail and pixel culling. is what I am experiencing about par for a very large assembly? and are there more settings I should be looking at? any help would be much appreciated! thank you in advance!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

I would suggest you to save the CATPart as 3dxml to be able to quickly identify your working area (you can use 3dxml player also) then you can search in this forum a macro which is transforming CATPart in CATProduct....but first run also a CATDUAV on your CATPart.

Hope you know how to handle big assemblies. Still, I'm surprised why your customer don't use a DMU license (maybe they don't have) to export all stuff to be easy to use (and IP/intellectual property protected).

Regards
Fernando

thank you, I am going to look for that macro, that would be helpful. we have been able to avoid working with our customers large assemblies in the past, but now our customers are starting to push us into using catia (we use inventor) so I am the only one here that is using catia, along with learning on the run. I appreciate the advice. I have found a lot of good advice on this site. thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back