Grating Span Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eng-Tareq

Structural
Jun 19, 2023
CA
Hello All,

In the case of the platform sketch below (platform is 3' wide and 18' long. I seem to see 2 different ways engineers tend to indicate grating span direction on their drawings. Some engineers tend to use smaller peices grating spanning between the W-sections and others span a very long peice of grating (18' long in this case) running from end to end spanning on all the Channel members. I was wondering what is the standard practice and what actually makes more sense from an installation stand point.

Thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=a2e50f5f-9cf9-4e16-a14b-de5ffa708270&file=Platform_Sketch.PNG
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is the channel coped to have a flat surface? It might be less costly to span from W to W. In addition there is better safety to have the main bars from the grating to be at right angles to the direction of movement.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

If I can, I'll try to consider the standard dimensions of grating panels and that may push me one way or the other, depending on the dimensions of the platform (just trying to reduce off-cuts and special order sizes). It's also good to consider if there's anything underneath the platform where you may need partial access from above down the road, say for an industrial platform with equipment below and the bridge crane above (easier to remove 1-2 small panels vs all the grating).

I think the 3' width is a normal width available, so we'd run it the long way based on that. And possibly tweak finished platform width to match.
Grating_o7fitj.jpg

@Dik, I just randomly remembered this post and realized my question is still pending. Can you please share why? Thanks

@dik why is the spanning from W to W less costly?

It may eliminate a bunch of channel sections. In addition having the grating spanning 'side to side' makes the grating installation 'less slippery'.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I like to span the grating the long dimension. Fewer cuts for the grating fabricator and more capacity for continuous spans.

But don't lose sleep over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back