Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gravity and Proportional Damping Coefficents

Status
Not open for further replies.

SwimBikeRun4342

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2013
US
Hello

A weird problem has emerged in my model. In short, my model consists of essentially 2 hollow bars (composed of shell elements) falling to the ground. The simulation behaves as expected, until I changed the material damping.

I decided to change the material damping (specifically alpha and beta in the material definition). They were originally set to relatively low values with respect to my model. But once I changed beta to a higher value (around 1E-3) the bars cease to fall to the ground and just remain fixed in space despite gravity being applied to the entire model.

I'm pretty baffled by this. Clearly I am misunderstanding something. The only variables I change in my sim. are alpha and beta (proportional damping coefficients). And once beta becomes larger, the bars cease to fall to the ground.

Can anyone tell my what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks

Note: I am using mass scaling in this simulation, but I'm told that mass scaling does not effect gravity so it should not be relevant to this problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back