Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Gravity wall design aides 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteLotus

Structural
Sep 13, 2002
US
I'm trying to find some design aides on designing gravity retaining walls. My text book, reference manuals and even my trusty Army Corp of Engineers manuals all stress analysing existing structures. I need to learn how to come up with a shape based on soil parameters. Particularly, the slope of the retaining side of the wall.

Right now I doing an interative process. I pick arbitrary dimensions, run my calcs, and build it up (or whittle it down) till everything is withing the proper limits of safety.

Any input/advise would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I design retaining walls using spreadsheets or MathCAD. In all cases, though, I have to do a trial-and-error method to arrive at the structure dimensions. Some structural manuals will give you some general ideas based on past problems.

Try DOT websites for standard drawings and bridge manual details. California uses their "Standard Plans" extensively (no gravity walls, though) as supplements to their bridge plans. Massachusetts Highway Department (MassHighway) Bridge Manual, Part II, Drawing No. 3.2.1 has a gravity wall typical section with most dimensions expressed as, or derived from, a function of height (Width = 0.52H, Footing Thickness = F = 0.15H, Toe = 0.67F, etc.).

I'm sure other states will have something similar. Just use the one you like best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back