Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grease for bearing surfaces and pneumatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

MisterKoenig

Mechanical
Jul 10, 2002
US
I am trying to select a lubricant that will work well for both sealing a pneumatic bore and properly lubricating roller bearings or gib style bearing surfaces. We currently use Magnalube-G and have not been very impressed by it. We have gotten products back with a few million cycles on them that the Magnalube-G is all dried up. Another key issue is keeping the cost down. I know there are lubricants out there such as Krytox that work well in this situations but they are too expensive.

Thank you for any knowledge you can impart,
Mark

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you describe in more detail some of the operating parameters and the application. We have spent over a year and much money trying to operate an air amplifier with grease lubrication at assembly with no success. Currently two units operating at 150° F are finally working using motor oil in an air lubricator.
Grease is oil held in a thickener, once the oil is gone all that is left is the thickener which is sticky and not a lubricant.
Check thread89-74572 , this is where I ask a similar question.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back