Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

greasing

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaza123

Electrical
Dec 3, 2008
SA
i have two motors which have been recommended by manufacturer to be greased with Poly Urea Grease. For our other motors we have grease type Esso Unirex N3. Can the Esso unirex N3 grease can be used in place of Poly urea grease.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Polyrex EM is Shear-stabilized Polyurea based.
Esso Unirex N3 is Lithium complex based.

If you look at compatibility charts that list the shear stabilized Polyurea thickener, they will show it as compatible with Lithium complex (many charts only show Polyurea, and it’s listed as marginally compatible).

With that said, the charts based on thickener type are approximations. Because for one thing different greases with same thickener act differently. Without actually doing a worked penetration test of those two greases mixed together (or getting report of someone whose done it or info from oem), you don’t know for sure.

Another general comment – Polyrex EM seems to be the wave of the future. Almost ever new motor you get and every rebuilt motor you get will have it (I have even gotten it in rebuilt when I specifically asked for Mobilith SHC100). So a a strategy that includes Polyrex EM may be easier in the long term (keep the Polyrex EM, convert the others to Polyrex EM either by mixing if determined acceptable, or during next rebuild/replacement.

=====================================
(2B)+(2B)' ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back