Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Green vs Black book

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeBaseplate

Structural
May 31, 2011
Do the new building codes, like IBC 06/09 require the design per LRFD method? I haven’t done a lot of steel design in the last three years as I was doing concrete work full time so I am out of touch with the changes. Am I required to do a beam design per ASD and LRFD of the black book? I am doing some simple roof beams and columns and am wondering if I can just use the Green book.

I am confused.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I can't say for certain, but I would imagine that the black book is the adopted code in just about every jurisdiction. Using either ASD or LRFD is fine. The 'Green' ASD (Allowable Stress Design) is subtlely different from the 'Black' ASD (Allowable Strength Design), which is essentially just LRFD using different load combinations and safety factors.

OK - you seem to be asking two questions:

1. ASD or LRFD - most all codes in the US (and elsewhere I believe) allow both.

2. Black book (which has both ASD and LRFD in it) OR the Green Book? - That depends upon the code that has been adopted in the jurisdiction of the project. If you are in the US, the code is typically the IBC. The year of the IBC which is in effect for the city/county/etc. that you are in would dictate which AISC specification you have to design under. Look in IBC chapter 35 for a list of references and look up AISC. It should list the applicable AISC spec version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back