Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grid Inside a vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgiani84

Mechanical
Oct 29, 2007
AR
hi, I´m trying to put a grid to support a load inside a vessel. I suppose that COMPRESS has some types of grids preset in its library but I cannot find it.

How can I make this operation?

thanks,

regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

COMPRESS does not provide a preset component such as you describe.

COMPRESS provides several types of "attachments" under the Attach menu. Attachments include insulation, lining, piping, trays, packed beds, platforms, etc.

No design or analysis is done for most of these components; the intent of providing these is to account for the effect of the weight of the component on the vessel and supports. For example, no design is performed for platforms other than to determine the wind force acting on the platform and to account for the effect of this and the platform's weight on the vessel and skirt (or other support). Similarly, for packed beds there is no analysis performed for supporting the packed bed, only the weight is considered as to how it affects the vessel design.

The "clip/lug" attachment does provide an analysis of local stresses in the shell due to the applied loads. The analysis is done using Welding Research Council bulletin 107 ("WRC-107").

You could use the packed bed component(s) to account for the weight of whatever it is you're supporting as well as the "grid" (grid to me sounds like a packed bed support).

Or you could simply apply vertical forces to the vessel using the option under the Loads menu.

Tom Barsh
Codeware Technical Support

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back