Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grinder or Effluent Pumps 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

chengineers

Civil/Environmental
Dec 17, 2013
US
Working on a small sewer pump station for a development in Montana. The station will have an inflow of ~ 4 gpm (design flow, office wastewater) and will send the wastewater 5,000 ft with an elevation gain of 15 ft to connect to an existing gravity sewer manhole. We're discussing whether we should use a grinder pump station or install a septic tank with effluent pumps (periodically pump the solids from the tank).

I've heard various opinions debating which system will cause higher maintenance and which will cost more in the long run. I wanted to gather your thoughts and recommendations. Also, would the grinder pump line require pig chambers and/or cleanouts? If so, what sort of spacing is recommended.

Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You will be best served with a small residential type lift station. Some homeowners use these when they are in the flood plain or at low elevations. EONE and Grundfos makes them.

You do not need a septic tank. You also would be best served with a solids handling pump, not a grinder. An effluent pump is used for treated wastewater out of a septic tank. The municipality will probably not allow you to put in a septic tank.

5000 feet is a long way. You may be better served with a septic system. I had one agency in North Florida allow a septic tank on what would have been a 3000 foot line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back