Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grinder Pump Wet Well Assistance 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottKent

Computer
Jun 9, 2004
US
Hello,

Our town has in the last couple of years completed a sewer project. EOne Grinder Pumps have been installed in areas where a force main was needed to overcome hilly terrain. Some of you that have had experience with EOne pumps/wetwells and what kind of maintenance issues you have come across could you share those please?

As we are on a learning curve what kind of preventive maintenance needs to be done? I have heard none to rinsing the tank every so often to using enzymes. Thanks.

Scott Kent
Kimberling City, MO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Using a floating 'enzyme' is a good idea to hold down the odors. This will also assist your crews when the pump has to come out for maintenance. Make sure you have AMP meters on the control panel. This will tell you more about the internal condition of the impeller, bearings and the force main. Whent he amp draw goes up , you have problems. Bearing temp sensor could tell you if it is the bearing going. Worn impeller makes the pump work harder, longer to empty the pit.

I once managed a municipality with over 50 of those pums. Some were the newer models, some were the older models. There are definitely some maintenance issues that need to be dealt with, however, it is important to firstly know how your municipality has set up the program. Whom is ulitmately responsible for the maintenance and replacement of the pumps and how is the program monitored?

KRS Services

Thanks KRS Services for your reply. The city is in charge of the upkeep and maintaining the pumps. The exact problem we are having is this. In the 2 years we have been hooked up to the grinder pump(on septic prior to this) it has failed 2 times. Once each year about a year apart. The public works director is saying we are pouring grease down our drains and has threatened us with legal action or stop.

As I have told him many times along with the Mayor, we collect all our grease/fat/lard from cooking in a container and put it out with the trash. Now, can I get rid of all traces of "grease", no way but rest assured we do not pour this substance into the collection system in bulk. We also wipe plates clean as best as possible after dinner.

They will not assist us in troubleshooting the situation period. The situation is simple to them "just stop putting grease down the drain". Trust me I would not want to go through their accusations and nastiness just so I could continue pouring grease down the drain. The director is adament as well that NO upkeep or maintenance should be required to these pumps. Can you offer any suggestions? Thanks so much.

Scott Kent

Scottkent,

Is this a residence or a commercial establishment such as a restaurant or grocery store with hot food preparation?

I think the both of you need to examine the situation with cooler heads. The Public Works Director for his "accusations and threats of legal action" and you because you have gone to the Mayor, and by doing that you have already aggravated the situation because it is now political.

As I mentioned before, I used to be in his boots having the unenviable task of managing these pumps. They work very well when maintained and inspected regularly by staff. Two "failures" in two years, does indeed give cause for concern. Since the City repaired the pump and have insisted on your ceasing of pouring grease down the drains, I will assume that it was caked full of grease over the time period of a year. Before getting too excited though, you may want to check out the statutes of your community, particularly those concerning the pumps. I'll wager they have some "introduction of deleterious materials into the sewer collection system" provisions which may carry some weight regarding your situation. The City may be able to refuse to accept your effluent under that provision, so be careful with digging your heels in. On the other hand, in my experience, refusal by the City is going to be a very difficult task.

You are going to have to understand that since the City owns the pump, it will be responsible for it in perpetuity. This includes complete replacement in about 15 or 20 years. Add this cost to the ongoing maintenance costs (inspections and periodic repair) and this will add up significantly over time, notwithstanding prematurely incurred costs due to "grease" failures.

These pumps are designed to function in circumstances where some grease (cooking, vegetable, etc) will be present. However, since the tolerances and dimensions are quite small in the E-One tank, there is not too much room for a significant buildup of grease without the pump beginning to operate outside it's curve, resulting in a breakdown. There are enzymes that can assist in breaking down greases, most can be found in hardware or septic supply stores. Go for the higher concentration of aerobic/anaerobic bacteria product, if this is a route you choose.

You may also want to get the municipality or a private inspection company to camera your service line. You may find that the pump is also being affected by "grease" restrictions in the line.

Finally, if there is that much grease being generated over a period of time, the municipality may request that you install a grease trap prior to discharge into the pump. I know I would if I was the Public Works Director. That way the majority of the grease will be captured before it gets to the pump sump and the responsibility for cleaning will be vested with the property owner. If it gets too full, your sewer won't flow very well either. The addition of enzymes in this circumstance would also be helpful to reduce some odours as well.

I may also suggest sitting down with the Public Works Director and any others necessary to listen and hear what problems they have encountered with your service resulting in the pump failure. This would include the individual whom sent the pump out for servicing/rehabilitation and find out what exactly went wrong in both cases. It should be a positive and proactive meeting, with any adversarial tendancies kept in the respective back pockets, to resolve this issue. You need to understand the system better and the municipality needs to also understand that ordinary people have habits and do not understand the complexity of pumping systems.

KRS Services

Hi KRS Services,
We have aclient who has been told to fit a grease trap to his EMV wokshop.I am looking for examples of types as he has been quoted increadable sums to put on in.I understand that the volume odwater is a factor in the sizing.
Are you able to poit me to a free source od how to build a grease/oil trap.
best
Robert

A grease interceptor is definitely a great recommendation. I am surprised that if this a commercial establishment with a food prep and clean-up area that the Authority does not include you in their Pre-treatment Program as mandated by EPA. They should have local limits for FOGs (fats, oils and greases) which you have to meet or you violate your permit and are penalized. If they do not consider yourself lucky for now. The Eone pumps are fairly reliable and average time before failure for residential installations is 11-12 years. Add FOGs and two years/two problems isn't hard to believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back