Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grinding of Fillet Weld

Status
Not open for further replies.

normm

Structural
Jan 29, 2008
GB
Strength of fillet weld is calculated based on throat thickness x weld strength. Most works specifications mention that visible parts of the weld runs to be grinded without giving much detail. On a recent site visit I noticed that the weld has been grinded almost flush as shown in the attached Fig 2.
In my view the resulting weld although looks neat has hardly any strength at all. Have any of you come across this problem or a statement in the specification how much grinding is acceptable.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3a6d8a8a-58d1-4fb0-9b8a-6aa84392e3cc&file=Weld.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seen them do that before. There will be some penetration in root but definitely not anywhere near the full strength of the fillet. Grinding only can be done if the weld was over welded, if it was precisely welded or underwelded then it has to be re-welded after any grinding.

Professional and Structural Engineer (ME, NH)
American Concrete Industries

If the architect wants to lessen the visible weld and insists on a near-flush finish shape, then I would specify bevel welds (or comparable) in order to salvage the required throat depth after the finishing operation.

Not sure how that got through QA/QC, as the grind is a checklist item. Most specs call for a smooth grind, free of edges and roughness, and not flush. The welder should know better than to grind flush a fillet weld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back