Grinding pumps for Mg slurries

Status
Not open for further replies.

AD_1979

Mechanical
Mar 6, 2023
NL
Dear all,

For an application in a recovery plant, I am interested in seeing if there is any option in the market for pumping liquids which would have a significant amount -and sorry for not being able to be more precise at this stage- of big particles, even stones, on it. We are speaking of a Magnesium based solution.

So far I have seen grinders being able to process this sludge/slurry, but I have not seen any system which could integrate in a single machine both the grinding and pumping capacities.

Do you happen to have any experience on these type of systems?

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

More technical data might be of help, flow and head involved, particle size with description and percentages and the application. Is it 10 gpm or 1000gpm?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Likely not.
Grinder pumps are common for softer materials.
But for hard materials it is more likely that you will need separate grinder and pump.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

A bit more information would be helpful. What is your starting particle size distribution and what is your target particle size? Why are you grinding in the first place? Is it just to be able to pump the slurry?

If you just need to avoid plugging your pump, trash pump style centrifugals (specifically ones with an impeller with only 2 vanes) typically can pass large solids, i.e. a 3"x3" pump can usually handle hard spheres up to 2.5" diameter. You may want to look up eddy pumps, which have the impeller set back from the suction to allow the eddy currents from the spinning impeller to do the pumping action. These pumps are much less hydraulically efficient, but are much more reliable.

If you need grinding for another purpose, that becomes more difficult.A high-shear roto-stator pump is commonly used to both pump and grind, but it is commonly recycled back to the tank to achieve adequate residence time for the grind. Also, you need to specify the hardness of these materials. When you say Mg slurries with pebbles, I'm thinking of MgO slaking applications where the oxide actually isn't very hard - Mohs hardness is usually 3-5ish. If this is a different and very hard material, you'll need to work with a grinding applications expert for the right solution. You'd almost certainly be looking at some sort of ceramic grinding technology.

Thanks everyone for your preliminary feedback.

I will try to get some further information, in particular the particle size distribution and the target size, but for that I need further clarification from my Process colleagues. But basically the idea is to both pump and grind with the same system.

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back