Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grinding Wheel Material and interaction with weld material

Status
Not open for further replies.

749KDV

Mechanical
Feb 7, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me what is the source of information that is used to correlate weld material (on pipe) with acceptable grinding wheel material? Specifically, I am looking at a 3M Green Corp Depressed Center Wheel with 40-80% Aluminum Oxide Mineral and 10-15% Zirconium Oxide Mineral. I need to evaluate its effect (if any) on SS (E316)and Alloy 600/82/182/52/5M weld filler materials.

I have heard that there are documented interactions between weld filler materials and grinding wheel materials that penetrate into the weld during the grinding process. The interactions include weakening of the weld, chemical interaction, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Although I can't suggest the composition of the wheel to use on your project, I do remember a stainless job being welded at work for the mining industry. The (coded) welder used a stainless brush when cleaning his weld to inspect it, and stressed to me that any abrasives used to polish the weld must be new. He explained that small particals of iron from any previous use of the grinding/polishing medium might embed themselves into the weld, resulting in small fractures developing when the iron oxidised. Perhaps it's iron that does the damage you refer to.

Regards, Mick

Very often the issue here is that if you transfer any material from the wheel to the work piece you can set up a galvanic cell which will casue corrosion problems- at the same time you need to be very aware of what is in you grinding fluid and the water it was mixed with -- in some fussy opeations you will want to be as free of Cl and S ions as possible.

I strongly suggest that you get a hold of a good coolant and a good wheel guy and lay out the spedicif issues and amke an informed decision togeather because the Devil will be in the details

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back