Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grounding CTs and PTs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mila2015

Electrical
Oct 11, 2019
US
I have an installation where CTs and PTs are installed, but will not be used (not wired for metering nor protection). We will be connecting all phase CT terminals to ground to avoid an open CT situation, but the field contractor wants to also ground phase PT terminals. Is that typical? Those terminals will be reading 120V, so would grounding them cause damage?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One secondary PT terminal should be grounded, but not both. Connect the three in wye and ground the wye point and you'll be good. If you don't ground you risk that secondary voltage float up toward phase voltage due to capacitive coupling across the windings.

Ideally the CTs would have all terminals shorted together and then a single ground from that.

I’ll see your silver lining and raise you two black clouds. - Protection Operations

Mila2015,
"So, you're saying for the Y secondary, I connect A1X11, B1X11, and C1XII together, and ground middle wye point only correct? What about the delta winding?" -
No, for star winding, you shouldn't connect A1X11, B1X11 and C1X11 together. Leave them open as they are. ust connect the star point of PT Y-secondary windings to earth.
Regarding Delta secondary, one of the terminals of broken delta is already connected to earth and that is adequate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back