Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grounding Issue in an SDS

Status
Not open for further replies.

SparkRay

Industrial
Mar 8, 2016
US
Hello,

I am installing a small (60A) sub panel in our work shop. The plant is powered by an ungrounded Delta system. The 480VAC feeds a set of transformers and steps down to 240 3 phase. This feeds a bus that distributes to various things. I want to add a small 12 circuit panel of 208 VAC single phase. I am using two phases of the 240 off of the bus.

The problem I'm having is that we have no ground or neutral pulled through the building. I want to install a ground rod at the panel but I got through the concrete and hit ledge about 24" down. There are no ground rods anywhere on the premises that I'm aware of.

How can I create a ground? I was thinking of using the building beams but do not know if the anchor bolts even contact the soil. Or, is that not necessary?

Also, can I use the sprinkler system piping as a ground?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Ray

General Hammond: "O'Neil, what the hell are you doing?" O'Neil: "Right in the middle of my backswing?!?!"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In my opinion, you have to run a copper conductor outside and to connect it with an electrode made as per NEC art.250. A pvc conduit will be necessary in order to protect the grounding electrode conductor. In my opinion also, it would be better to consult a licensed electrician.

Ledge is what they call bedrock in the Northeast. Very few places can go 8' deep around here without hitting ledge/bedrock.

General Hammond: "O'Neil, what the hell are you doing?" O'Neil: "Right in the middle of my backswing?!?!"

You can break out some concrete until you expose a rebar. Clean the rebar and connect to it. Patch the concrete. Test the ground resistance.
If there is enough continuous rebar to make a good connection to the concrete the concrete will make a good ground.
Look up Ufer in Wiki.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

It's called ledge mostly because it sticks out like ledges all over the place. I had to have half of my home's foundation site blasted to fit the foundation.

I found several places where there is a ground rod in place and then tied to the building's main columns. I should be okay tying to the columns.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back