Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grounding of neutral and PE conductor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joaco M

Industrial
Sep 13, 2016
UY
Hi all!

There is a project, where a subcontractor will be doing the substation local, and all its related electrical stuff from the MV side..

I have been discusing with him the low voltage side, specially the grounding of the neutral.

The transformer will be a dry 1000KVA, 15/0,4KV delta/wye.

The transformer will be 80meters away from the facility and distribution board.

First question.

Should we carry the PE cable from the substation till the facility ? im asking this from a practical point of view. I know this has to be done if the distribution system we use is TN-S and the neutral is grounded in the substation. but should we use TN-S this way? is it worth ?

Could we only carry the neutral and ground it just before the facility ?

We could also use TT system and then we would have 2 independent grounds, one in the substation for the neutral and another one in the facility.. in this case i MUST use residual circuit breakers,

The reason why i would like to use TN-S system is because the phase-ground faults would have a much higher current and if designed correctly the magnetic of the circuit breakers would trip in each branch circuit.

This will be a facility with a lot of motors.

Anyway if using one or the other distribution system I will put a toroid with a ground fault relay, regulated high enough so it doesnt trip incorrectly.. in the main circuit breaker of the facility.

Attached pictures of schemas,

Open to opinions, thanks!

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=cd03971e-a3d8-40ed-9f64-6a707ccb8706&file=IMG-4494.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back