Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Grounding of solid dielectric transmission cables 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kraigb

Electrical
Jul 11, 2000
US
Does anyone have any suggestions regarding a waiting period prior to grounding a solid dielectric transmission cable? The cable is operating at 115kV (L-L), and some people in my company have suggested by that the station class arresters installed at the ends of the cable can drain the charge from the cable if given enough time. I'm not so sure that I would depend on this enough to make it part of an operating practice. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since the cable is designed for three-phase to ground short circuit current, any appropriate short-circuiting insulated wire harness may be safely applied instantly after cable interrupters are open at both ends of the cable to make sure that there is not stored energy in some energy storage loads (capacitors, rotating machines, etc.) and power supply is interrupted. Capacitive charge from the cable will cause some current arcing while short-circuiting conductors and connecting them to the ground, which calls for an appropriate safety measure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back