Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grounding

Status
Not open for further replies.

srgntpj

Computer
Jan 25, 2008
US
Let me ask you this. I know the NEC is no more, it is now ICC if im not mistaken. But heres my question, if you ground a sattelite, say for, t.v or internet and you cannot get to the ground for the service or the house, what would it take to properly ground the system, I.E. what size ground rod? ground wire, how big in diamiter and how deep?, and where can i find this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

NEC is no more?? Not heard that. Go to your local hardware store get whatever they're selling as a ground rod. Drive the rod as close as you can to your device. Get the proper clamp and some solid copper wire and make your connections.

Keith Cress
Flamin Systems, Inc.-

Have a look at some lightning protection folks web sites, they will (if your lucky) explain what is required to get a nice low ground resistance in each of many different soil types. You wont need their high current capacity so you dont need the expense and bother trying to use giant wire sizes.

"...lightning protection folks..."

Beware. A significant fraction of the lightning industry are completely insane.

Protecting the structure from lightning-induced fires is one thing. Protecting the electronics from lightning-induced damage is another thing entirely.

Your local electrical code should specify the exact requirements either directly, or by reference.

what ever you do. you need to tie your new grounding system to your existing system yu do not want any stray voltages wondering around.
Look into a whole house TVSS they work great Mine covers AC power, cable tv and old school phone ( now with VOIP oh well)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back