Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

grout repairs to concrete 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JECCNC

Civil/Environmental
Apr 5, 2003
QA
Hi Guys, I have two questions regarding grout repair, pls refer to attached PDF file,
1. I have a steel plate anchored to a concrete floor, the plate supports a diagonal bracing member. during the floor concreting the contractor did not control the level and too much concrete was pored, to get the correct length of the bracing member he had to chip away a pocket into the concrete floor, he now proposes to fill the pocket with grout after fixing the plate and bracing member, wouldn,t the grout just pop out? what is a better soulution?

2. same contractor constructing a water basin with stop logs ( gates) the stop logs are guided by channels embeded and grouted into concrete columns ( A and B) see sketch 2, due to mismatching errors the channels in column B were off, he now proposes to chip away the concret of column B as shown and grout back most of the section, these columns are 80 cm wide by 100 cm and the length is about 7 meter high, is grout made to be cast in such a large section?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1. I wouldn't fill with grout unless there is an aesthetic reason or it is a tripping hazard. I'd just leave it as is.
Oh - and if water would possibly pond there I would then consider filling it. You could possibly fill it with a semi-flexible material (asphalt, sealant, etc.)

2. If they chip away the concrete, it is usually recommended (by ACI) that you chip away deep enough to expose rebar ties and bars so that the new concrete can successfully bond to the base. Typically 3/4 inch (finger width, 20 mm) is specified. Also, we sometimes specify additional steel pins, like 9 gage stainless steel pins, epoxied into the concrete and formed with a small hook in the new patch concrete.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back