Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Grouted Riprap Design for Dams and Revetments 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blairsy

Geotechnical
Dec 22, 2016
US
Hopefully I am posting in the correct location. Is anyone familiar with design of grouted riprap for dam spillways or revetments based on expected overtopping flow velocities? I am trying to determine if there would be a considerable reduction in stone size and layer thickness between loose riprap and grouted riprap but I am having trouble finding information on grouted riprap. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has some information (design manuals, examples, etc.) they could direct me to. Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

we generally do not advise grouted riprap for these types of critical applications. since it is unreinforced concrete, there is an argument that once it cracks, it fails perhaps more quickly than ungrouted riprap. Relatively minor settlement or seepage pressure will cause cracking of the grout and failure of the revetment.

The Corps only allows it in cases where large rock is not readily available or cost prohibitive. In general, this means rarely if ever. see the following corps document: ETL 1110-2-334 DESIGN AND CONSTRUCTION OF GROUTED RIPRAP

You might be able to use it for less critical applications. FHWA does allow it, but with little guidance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back