Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GRP/GRE/HDP piping for Refinery cooling water services 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

MIANCH

Chemical
Aug 8, 2002
LY
Hi All
Please refer to subject regarding the GRP/GRE/HDP piping materiel, can NFP code allow to use these material for cooling water in refinery and gas plants. anyone have experience please share.
Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SJones,
all information in this page is related with material and use, but no information for refinery cooling water service use. I need if NFPA allow or not.
Best regards

NFPA is fire protection.

what has cooling water got to do with Fire protection?

I believe NFPA allows use of GRE / HDPE below ground, but not above ground unless it is "protected"

Why don't you look at the relevant NFPA code - they are free to view online.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I looked but no specific information founded. NFPA suggests for protection but not for like my question (material selection). we have old system and need to replace it. project is under discussion but no relevant codes & standards found which can support us or reject us for the use of GRP/GRE above ground.

You haven't answered the question.

Is this pipe for a fire water supply or other use?

If it's firewater then GRE doesn't seem to be listed in NFPA even in NFPA 24 (private mains)

But it's up to you and your AHJ what type of pipe you use.

There are many underground HDPE fire mains, but not too many GRE ones.

LittleInch
Company want to replace existing cooling water service piping in refinery due to aging and corrosion related issues. project is still in discussion stage. these pipes are running on pipe racks. My question was, does NFPA code allow to change carbon steel piping with GRP /GRE/FRP piping or not.
In-addition I have not see GRP pipes in cooling water services yet.
Best Regards

Dear MIANCH,

GRE pipes have been extensively used in the Middle-East for chilled water & fire water applications. As long as the bonding procedure specification is adhered to, you get excellent results.

Do remember these pipes are may be 10 times costlier than CS. So, economics also play a part. CS piping + water treatment is also one option that you might explore.

Regards.

DHURJATI SEN
Kolkata, India

I know and have experience for GRE for fire water services but my question is does we can use for cooling water services in refinery or in gas plant, does NFPA allow. please share your experience or reference or let me know if NFPA allow and which codes is.
Thanks

I don't believe NFPA has an opinion on this.

It's up to you.

Non hazardous fluids are not normally considered as being vulnerable.

Also remember GRE has a larger expansion than steel but is in tension when pressurised.

You can't just replace like for like.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back